Grant Writer Grant Winner

The effort to find funding for worthy causes and the joys of working in the non-profit sector are the general topics I write about. I want to convey to the professional and non-professional alike my insights and my research into the issues affecting the way charitable giving is conducted in the USA.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Saturday, August 07, 2010

Cherry Lane

The depression continues to deliver a body blow to the country's arts non-profits. Most recently I read of the Cherry Lane Theatre in Greenwich Village. This is a veneralbe arts icon. From its beginning in 1924, it has attracted the top writing talent of the day: F. Scott Fitzgerald, John Dos Passos, Edward Albee, Harold Pinter. I can remember the names associated with the Theatre in the 60s and 70s, people who went on to have careers in television and film, starting on the tiny stage on Commerce Street. John Malkowich, Bob Dylan, Harvey Keitel, Sam Shepard.

Because of a loss of donation income, the Theatre has been forced to close indefinitely. This economic disaster is leaving so many dead in their tracks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home